- e3: The most common allele worldwide and is viewed as the neutral allele, with no increased or decreased risk of cardiovascular disease
- e4: Associated with an increased risk of high LDL-cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis
- e2: Associated with lower LDL-cholesterol levels in the blood, but increased risk of high blood sugar and hyperlipoproteinemia type III, leading to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease
Cardiovascular Disease (ApoE) DNA Test
What are cardiovascular diseases? Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) include heart attack and stroke, and maintaining normal cholesterol levels is essential for the prevention of CVD. LDL-cholesterol is often referred to as the “bad” cholesterol. It collects in the walls of your blood vessels, where it can cause blockages and scarring known as atherosclerosis. Increased LDL-cholesterol levels put you at greater risk for CVD. Other contributing factors to CVD include elevated triglycerides (the main form of storage fat in our body) and high levels of other low-density lipoproteins (e.g. beta-very low-density lipoproteins). Hyperlipoproteinemia type III is one disease characterized by elevated triglycerides and beta-very low-density lipoproteins and is associated with an early onset of peripheral vascular disease and CVD. How does the APOE gene affect cardiovascular health? The APOE gene encodes Apolipoprotein E (ApoE), a protein involved in the production, delivery, and utilization of cholesterol in the body. There are several different versions or alleles of the APOE gene, and the three most common alleles are known as e2, e3 and e4. Each of these alleles produce a slightly different version of the ApoE protein.
Suggested Retail Price = $195 USD. This price includes the laboratory fee, results report and all associated postage. A simple mouth swab is all that is required to collect an individual’s DNA sample.
Would you like to add this test to your Reseller account? Two options available:
- Private label: Blank kits and supplies that you can use to provide services under your own company name
- Genovate label: Genovate-branded kits and supplies
Just require this test? Click here to return to the Genovate Consumer site to order this test directly