Your mtDNA is your link back to all of your maternal ancestors and your Y-DNA is your link back to all of your paternal ancestors. Analyze both in this one simple kit.
mtDNA for your Maternal Ancestry
- Your mtDNA is passed down unchanged from mother to child and is the only way to accurately trace your maternal ancestry. Take this test to SEQUENCE your mtDNA and identify all of your mtDNA genetic variants.
Your mtDNA genome contains 16,569 base pairs. That is 16,569 different places that a change can occur! DNA SNP chips (used by many of our competitors) detect less than 20% of all these possible changes. We use Sanger Sequencing (the GOLD standard for DNA sequencing) to identify every single base pair. If you carry a mtDNA genetic variant, our technology will detect it, GUARANTEED.
The mtDNA genome contains three regions: two hypervariable regions (HVR1 and HVR2) and the more conserved coding region:
- Sequence just one or both of your hypervariable regions so that you can accurately compare your mtDNA to published data from hundreds of famous historical figures and ethnic groups around the world. DNA SNP chips struggle to detect all the variation in the hypervariable regions, but our Sanger Sequencing technology will identify every single change.
- Upgrade to the full mtDNA genome sequence (HVR1 + HVR2 + coding region) to confirm your ancient maternal history (mtDNA haplogroup and subclade).
Y-DNA for your Paternal Ancestry
- Your Y-DNA is passed down unchanged from father to son and is the only way to accurately trace your paternal ancestry. Take this test to analyze your fast-changing STR markers to trace your RECENT ancestry.
Your Y-DNA contains both slow and fast-changing genetic markers. DNA SNP chips (used by many of our competitors) detect slow-changing SNPs, which are excellent for tracing ancient ancestry but useless for anything recent (i.e. the last few hundred years). So if you want to use your DNA to help build your family tree, you need to look at fast-changing genetic markers – STRs. And that is exactly what our test detects – STRs found on your Y chromosome.
Our paternal ancestry test can analyze 20, 44 or 101 different Y-DNA STRs. The choice is yours, and the more you choose, the higher your resolution will be. Compare your Y-DNA to published data from hundreds of famous historical figures and ethnic groups around the world. Our test even allows two males to determine how many generations ago they shared a common ancestor.
Important! This combo test can only be taken by MALES, as only males have Y-DNA. Females are able to trace their maternal lineages through the DNA Maternal Ancestry Test, but if they wish to trace their own paternal lineage, they must test the Y-DNA of a direct male line relative.
- Standard Test: 20 Y-DNA STR markers and mtDNA HVR1 sequence. This is often all that is required to achieve an adequate resolution.
- Advanced Test: 44 Y-DNA STR markers and mtDNA HVR1 + HVR2 sequence.
- Premium Test: 101 Y-DNA STR markers and the full mtDNA genome sequence (HVR1 + HVR2 + Coding Region). This provides the highest resolution.
- Upgrade Options: A cost-efficient upgrade option is available, where customers can initially select just the Standard Test. If this region does not provide a high enough resolution, there is an option to upgrade to the Advanced Test or Premium Test.